UPDATE: Man arrested in standoff being held without bond

Published: Nov. 27, 2020 at 8:43 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn


Robert Ransom, 35, is being held without bond following an alleged standoff with Wood County authorities on Friday.

He’s behind bars at the North Central Regional Jail.

You can read about the incident that led to his arrest below.

UPDATE: 11/27/20 10:45 P.M.

A Michigan man is behind bars following a brief standoff with Wood County authorities on U.S. 50 near State Route 47 Friday evening.

A supervisor at the Wood County Sheriff’s Department says a deputy was called to the scene of a wreck involving two vehicles on Route 50 around 6:20 P.M.

When the deputy arrived on scene, a witness to the wreck waved him down. The witness told authorities a driver involved in the wreck had pointed a gun at her.

Deputies say that driver was uncooperative and refused to park his car.

At some point, authorities learned he had several firearms in his vehicle. Backup was called and a standoff occurred between the driver and law enforcement.

Officers hatched a plan to get the driver out safely and executed it.

Deputies say 35 year-old Robert Ransom, of Michigan, was the man they pulled from the vehicle.

He’s being charged with obstruction and brandishing a firearm.

The other driver involved in the wreck was moved from the scene for safety reasons. Neither driver was injured as a result of the initial crash.

Both sides of Route 50 were closed during the standoff, but have since reopened.

Authorities cleared the scene just before 8 p.m.


A car wreck in Wood County led to a standoff between a driver and authorities Friday evening.

It started around 6:20 p.m. when Sheriff Steve Stephens says his deputies responded to a car crash involving two vehicles on U.S. 50 near State Route 47.

Once officers arrived they tried to meet with one of the drivers involved in the wreck, but the man would not leave his vehicle or take it out of drive. Deputies then discovered the man had multiple firearms with him in the vehicle.

Stephens and the West Virginia State Police were called to the scene, where a relatively short standoff between the driver and authorities occurred.

The incident caused both sides of U.S. 50 to be closed down.

Eventually, law enforcement officers were able to get the driver out of the vehicle and into custody. For now, Stephens says he is being charged with obstructing an officer.

Authorities say the scene was cleared just before 8 p.m. Friday and U.S. 50 was reopened.

The other driver involved in the wreck was moved away from the scene for safety reasons. No injuries have yet been reported.

Copyright 2020 WTAP. All rights reserved.