UPDATE: High-speed chase ends with arrest in Wood County

Published: Mar. 2, 2021 at 4:57 AM EST|Updated: Mar. 2, 2021 at 1:51 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPDATE: 3/2/21 1 P.M.

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. (WTAP) - Authorities jailed a Columbus, Ohio, man early Tuesday morning after a lengthy police pursuit that exceeded 100 mph on Interstate 77.

Kani Allen, 19, was arrested after crashing his car near the Staunton Avenue exit and charged with fleeing with reckless indifference and possession with intent to deliver.

The chase began about 1 a.m. in Marietta when police Capt. Aaron Nedeff said Allen turned off his headlights while passing an officer going in the opposite direction.

Marietta Police pursued Allen’s car through several neighborhoods before he crossed into Williamstown. The chase continued from Highland Avenue to Route 31 and then onto Emerson Avenue, where Allen headed south. He eventually turned onto I-77 south at the Emerson Avenue interchange.

According to a criminal complaint in Wood County Magistrate Court, officers used spike strips on I-77 to flatten at least two of the car’s tires, but Allen kept going and the chase continued onto Route 50 and then back onto to I-77 south at a high rate of speed. It ended when Allen’s car went off the road and into a field near the Staunton Avenue exit.

After removing Allen and three juveniles from the car, officers found four bags of what appeared to be cocaine, the complaint said.

In addition to charges in West Virginia, Allen will be charged with felony fleeing in Washington County, Nedeff said.

None of the juveniles will be charged, Nedeff said.

Allen was being held at the Wood County Holding Center on Tuesday, pending transfer to the North Central Regional Jail. Bond was set at $400,000 during his arraignment in magistrate court.

Marietta Police, Williamstown Police and the Wood County sheriff’s deputies were involved in the pursuit.

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. (WTAP) - A high-speed chase that began in Marietta early Tuesday morning ended near the Staunton Turnpike exit on I-77 SB with a car off the the side of the road.

According to the Wood County 911 Center, the chase was picked up in Williamstown at 1:08 a.m. when a car going at a high rate of speed (and without its lights on) cross Highland Avenue.

The chase continued for a period of time, ending at around 1:20 by the Turnpike exit, and “at least one person” being arrested, according to Dispatch, although they also said no injuries were reported at the scene.

WTAP will have more information on the case as it becomes available.

Copyright 2021 WTAP. All rights reserved.