Advertisement

UPDATE: 2021 Ohio primary election day - Click here for results

Published: May. 4, 2021 at 11:41 AM EDT|Updated: May. 5, 2021 at 8:00 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Ohio (WTAP) - UPDATE 5/5/21

The unofficial results for the May 4th, 2021 primary election in Ohio are in.

Larry Martin and Donna Miller faced each other for the Republican primary for Belpre City Council President. With all precincts reporting, Larry Martin gets 55% of the vote and Miller has 45%.

Alison Holland and Tina Nolan were on the ballot for the Republican primary for Belpre Auditor. With all results in, Tina Nolan wins with 52% of the vote.

Voters decided against the Marietta City Schools income tax levy. 70% of voters said no while the other 30% voted yes.

This levy was going to tax income to go toward wages for both teaching and non-teaching employees. If it had passed, it would have generated $3 million.

These results are the unofficial results from the Washington County Board of Elections.

This is the third year Marietta voters have decided on a tax issue for Marietta City Schools, but this was a different tax than voters there-or anywhere in the area-have decided on before. The school system says it was not a tax on things like social security income, pensions, dividends, interest, capital gains, or ira withdrawals.

Will Hampton, Superintendent of Marietta city schools says he’s disappointed with the results but wasn’t surprised with the outcome.

“We are not completely surprised. It still doesn’t change the situation. It still doesn’t change the fact that there’s a need for this,” Hampton said. " It’s sim[ply a matter of keeping our school competitive with other schools in the area.”

Hampton told WTAP last month that Marietta schools are the lowest-funded in Washington County and in the bottom 15% in the state of Ohio.

Tina Nolan, who is the unofficial winner for the Republican primary for Belpre auditor (there were no democrats on the ballot), says she’s grateful for the support and is looking forward to working with the city council members.

“I’ll help support with any economic development or growth that the council sees we need to move forward with,” Nolan said.

Nolan said she plans on helping senior citizens return to their activities at the senior center and that she will continue to learn from Leslie Pittinger who is currently the Belpre auditor.

ORIGINAL STORY: 5/4/21

May 4, 2021, is the primary election day in Ohio.

Election Day is TODAY! Polls are open until 7:30pm. Find your polling location and other election info at VoteOhio.gov. Make your voice heard🗳🇺🇸

Posted by Frank LaRose on Tuesday, May 4, 2021

There are no statewide issues or races on the ballot.

The polls are open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. for in-person voting.

You will need to bring an ID to the polls. A photo ID, utility bill, or bank statement is among the forms of ID that are considered acceptable. Click here for a complete list of acceptable IDs.

In Washington County, there are a few races and issues for voters to decide.

Belpre voters are voting on a republican candidate for auditor and city council president.

Marietta City School voters are deciding on a tax issue. This will be the third year that the school system has tried to get a tax levy passed.

If passed, the $3 million generated will be used for wages for teaching and non-teaching employees of the school system.

There are also township levies and local alcohol options in Belpre Township, Decatur Township, Marietta Township, and East Muskingum Fire District.

You can find your polling place here.

Click here for a list of races and results in the WTAP viewing area.

Copyright 2021 WTAP. All rights reserved.