UPDATE: Man in Georgia arrested for allegedly making bomb threats at Washington County schools

Published: May. 11, 2021 at 9:35 AM EDT|Updated: May. 11, 2021 at 6:48 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn


The Washington County Sheriff’s Office says they believe a man in Thomson, Georgia is responsible for allegedly calling in multiple bomb threats.

Nicholas John Frances Hall was arrested in McDuffie County, Georgia. He is 18 years old. Deputies say he allegedly made the threats to get his girlfriend out of school. Hall allegedly used a mobile phone application to spoof multiple phone numbers for the calls to the schools.

Hall was arrested on one count of inducing panic, and one count of making terrorist acts. Both of them are felonies. Deputies say there were at least 13 threats in Washington County.

There were more threats he allegedly made in Athens County, Noble County, Morgan County and more in Ohio.

Law enforcement agencies throughout Ohio and other states, as well as school employees and administrators, aided in the investigation.

More threats against Washington County schools mean classes in several districts are called off for the day.

According to the Washington County Sheriff’s office, threats were called in this morning to Waterford and Fort Frye High Schools, Warren Local Schools and Marietta Middle School.

Marietta City Schools posted on its website that all buildings in the school system are closed, and students not picked up at school will be bused to the Washington County Junior Fair Building.

The sheriff’s office continues to investigate. The threats have closed schools in Waterford for the fourth straight day.

A threat was called in to Morgan County Junior High School, according to Morgan Local Schools Director of Testing & Educational Technology Dr. Jim Johnson.

“At this time we have no evidence that this is a credible threat, but we are taking every precaution,” Dr. Johnson said in a statement. He later stated that, after a sweep of the building, it was determined to be safe.

A threat was called in to Caldwell High School, and students there were dismissed for the day. Caldwell Elementary School remains in session.

We’ll continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

Copyright 2021 WTAP. All rights reserved.