House fire on Latrobe Street ruled accidental by Parkersburg Fire Dept.

WTAP News @ Noon
Published: Mar. 29, 2023 at 11:29 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. (WTAP) - The Parkersburg Fire Department said a house fire on Latrbobe Street on Wednesday morning started by accident.

Parkersburg Fire Department Chief Jason Matthews said that some blankets that the dogs were using as bedding got too close to a gas fireplace and started the fire. Two people in the house got out safely and so did the four dogs. Two of the dogs needed oxygen, but were up and moving around when firefighters left.

Chief Matthews said the house has smoke and heat damage contained to a few rooms. The Red Cross is helping the family. The fire department got to the house within three minutes of the call and had the fire out 20 minutes later.


The Parkersburg Fire Department responded to a fire at 1123 Latrobe Street on the morning of March 29.

Parkersburg Fire Department Chief Jason Matthews told WTAP that one occupant had exited the structure when the department arrived on scene.

Matthews said multiple dogs remained inside when they arrived and were removed from the house by firefighters.

Matthews said the fire department had administered oxygen to the dogs and that all dogs were accounted for.

The Fire Department was still extinguishing hotspots at 10 when WTAP arrived on the scene.