UPDATE: Man getting drug treatment before sentencing on charges in Parkersburg police chase

Published: Sep. 23, 2017 at 11:40 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A man that led officers on a police chase in September 2017 is going to a treatment facility before he's sentenced.

Jole Echard pleaded guilty to one count of Fleeing from an Officer with Reckless Indifference.

Monday, Judge Jason Wharton deferred his sentencing.

He'll be going to the Anthony Correctional Center in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.

The program could take six months to two years for him to finish.

Once he's out, he'll be sentenced.

The police chase started near the intersection of 16 Street and Beaver Street in Parkersburg.

It reached speeds of over 100 miles per hour.

The chase ended in Ritchie County near Burning Springs Road when he crashed his Toyota Sedan in the median.

Two people were hospitalized after a police chase that began in Parkersburg and ended with a crash in Ritchie County on Saturday night.

Parkersubrg Police say, at 10:17 P.M. on Saturday, officers saw a tan Toyota sedan, with two people inside, driving without headlights on near the GoMart convenience store on St. Mary's Avenue, and tried to stop the vehicle near the intersection of 16th Street and Beaver Street.

The driver, Jole Seth Echard, 19, of Parkersburg, refused to stop after the officer activated his emergency lights and sirens, and started a chase, heading east on Spring Street.

The pursuit continued east on 19th Street, with speeds over 100 miles-per-hour.

Echard continued onto Route 50 East, eventually crossing into Ritche County, where he lost control of his vehicle and crashed in the median on Route 50, near Burning Springs Road.

Echard got out of the car and tried to run from officers, but was arrested.

The female passenger in the vehicle, who has not been identified, was airlifted to Charleston Area Medical Center for medical treatment.

Her current condition has not been released.

Echard was also hurt and was taken by ambulance to Camden Clark Medical Center, where he was treated and released, then was arrested by police.

Echard is charged with one felony count of Fleeing with Reckless Indifference.

He was arraigned in Wood County Magistrate Court and is in the North Central Regional Jail on $10,000.00 bond.

The Wood County Sheriff’s Department and the West Virginia State Police were also involved in the pursuit and arrest.