Fire damages hunting cabin in Waverly

WAVERLY, W.Va. (WTAP) - Firefighters from three departments battled a fire at a hunting cabin in Waverly Wednesday night.

Crews from the Waverly, Williamstown and Deerwalk fire departments were called out about 9 p.m. to the blaze at 807 Waverly Road.

The fire was quickly knocked down, and firefighters said most of the building was saved. It was not occupied, and there were no injuries.

Waverly Fire Chief Dennis McAtee said the fire appears to have started near a wood-burning stove.

As a result, he said it’s important to remind people to always follow manufacturers’ instructions when using an indoor stove or fireplace.