UPDATE: Cleveland Facebook Shooting victim remembered at funeral service

By  | 

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Update: 4/22/2017

Robert Godwin Sr. was fatally shot on Easter Sunday in 2017, while collecting aluminum cans at a Cleveland park. His accused killer, Steve Stephens, shot Godwin Sr. and posted a video of the shooting to Facebook. Stephens fatally shot himself on April 18, 2017, during a police chase in Erie, PA. (Photo Courtesy of the Godwin Family)

CLEVELAND (AP) - Funeral services have been held for a Cleveland retiree whose shooting death was posted on Facebook.

Family members on Saturday recalled Robert Godwin Sr. as a loving, gentle person who taught the importance of forgiveness.

The 74-year-old Godwin was shot Easter Sunday walking along a Cleveland street.

Gunman Steve Stephens led police on a 2-mile chase in Erie, Pennsylvania, before fatally shooting himself Tuesday.

Tonya Godwin-Baines, one of Godwin's ten children, said the family forgives Stephens.

Stephens was a 37-year-old job counselor who worked with young people.

Police would not speculate on what triggered the killing, but in the Facebook video and other footage he posted, Stephens talked about having trouble with his girlfriend and losing everything he had to gambling.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

UPDATE: 4/19/2017,

The family of the victim of a Cleveland shooting that was broadcast on Facebook says his funeral will be held on Saturday, April 22.

74-year-old Robert Godwin Sr. was gunned down Sunday afternoon while he was collecting aluminum cans, shortly after he had been with some of his children for Easter.

The alleged shooter, 37-year-old Steve Stephens, posted a video of the shooting on Facebook.

Stephens shot and killed himself after a two-mile police chase in Erie, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday.

Godwin was a retired foundry worker and a father of 10. Former neighbors, friends, and relatives described him as a good man at a memorial set up at the site of his death.

The funeral will be open to the public.

UPDATE: 4/18/2017, 1:02 P.M.: Pennsylvania State Police say Steve Stephens, wanted for fatally shooting another man in Cleveland in a Facebook video, fatally shot himself Tuesday morning, during a police chase in Erie, Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania State Police say an alert worker at a McDonald's in Erie, Pennsylvania recognized the wanted "Cleveland Facebook Killer" Steve Stephens in the restaurant's drive-thru, and led police to him

Henry Sayers, the Erie restaurant's manager, tells reporters that Steve Stephens pulled up to the drive-thru Tuesday morning and ordered a 20-piece Chicken McNuggets and french fries.

He says the attendant recognized Stephens, who was wanted in Sunday's slaying of a retired Ohio man, and called 911.

Restaurant owner Thomas DuCharme Jr. tells the Erie Times-News that workers tried to "buy some time for the cops" and told Stephens his order of fries was delayed. DuCharme says Stephens replied he had no time to wait and drove away.

Troopers spotted Steve Stephens' vehicle and launched a 2-mile car chase that ended when troopers tried to spin his car to get him to stop.

Police say the 37-year-old Stephens pulled out a pistol and fatally shot himself in the head as the vehicle spun. No one else was hurt.

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf says police heroically took quick action to keep others safe.

Police had searched for Stephens since Sunday, when they say he randomly killed a 74-year-old retired man in Cleveland, Ohio and posted a video of the shooting on Facebook.

It wasn't immediately clear where Stephens had been since the Sunday shooting in Cleveland, which killed a 74-year-old retired man.

Williams says investigators had hoped to talk with Stephens to find out a motive.

The daughter of the shooting victim says she's sad that the suspect killed himself in Pennsylvania.

Debbie Godwin tells The Associated Press she would have preferred that 37-year-old Steve Stephens remain alive and face prison time for the Sunday shooting of 74-year-old Robert Godwin Sr. She says: "If you did it, you have to face your crime."

Cleveland's mayor says Stephens' death brings some closure in the slaying of an innocent man.

A gun range owner says the suspect in a random Cleveland killing that was recorded and posted to Facebook had shot at his facility, and video shows he was warned for breaking rules by practicing "rapid fire."

Owner Blake Frederick says suspect Steve Stephens visited Sherwin Shooting Sports within the past year. Frederick tells Cleveland.com he recalls Stephens as nice and jovial, not negative.

WEWS-TV reports that a video Stephens posted to Facebook last year showed him rapidly firing at targets at the range in Willoughby and being warned to stop by an employee.

Police say the 37-year-old Stephens had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

The multistate manhunt for him stretched into a third day Tuesday. He's wanted on an aggravated murder charge in the Sunday shooting death of a 74-year-old retiree.

Videos Stephens shared on Facebook show him talking about his despair over gambling debts and trouble with his girlfriend.

On Monday evening, Facebook announced that it was launching a review for reporting harmful content following the killing. The company says it disabled Stephen's account within 23 minutes of receiving the first report about the video of the fatal shooting and two hours after receiving any report. Facebook says, "we know we need to do better."

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus