Update: Judge rejects plea agreement in Overtime Sports Bar shooting

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. (WTAP) - Update: 3/8/2019

A trial is now scheduled for the end of May, for a man accused in a shooting death outside a Parkersburg bar nearly two years ago.

Stephen Griffith was scheduled to be sentenced Thursday for the May, 2017 shooting death of Chad Hart. But Circuit Judge Robert Waters rejected his no contest plea to a charge of brandishing, over concerns about the evidence in the case.

Members of Hart's family, who were in the courtroom for the hearing, disagree with a Parkersburg Police report on the incident, that says Hart fired at Griffith before Griffith shot him.

"There were a lot of things that were not investigated, that should have been investigated," Hart's mother Sharon, claimed after the hearing. "If they would have done their job, there would have been a different outlook on the situation."

Hart's mother says he had gone to the Overtime Sports Bar to play pool the night of the shooting.

Griffith was indicted by the Wood County Grand Jury for involuntary manslaughter, a misdemeanor, and wanton endangerment with a firearm, a felony.

His trial is now scheduled for May 29.

No arrests have been made in the aftermath of Sunday morning's fatal shooting at the Overtime Sports Bar because police say it's being investigated as possible self defense.

Parkersburg Police say Stephen Griffith, 32, of Parkersburg, fatally shot Chad Hart, 38, outside the bar about 1 a.m. Sunday after the two men argued.

Investigators say evidence in the shooting will likely be presented to a Wood County grand jury.

West Virginia state code allows firearms inside a bar. However, businesses have the right to ban them from their premises.

The Overtime Bar has signs asking customers to leave their guns behind.


A Parkersburg man is dead following a dispute at Overtime Sports Bar on Emerson Avenue in Parkersburg.

Parkersburg Police say Chad Allen Hart, 38, was involved in a short verbal altercation with Stephen R. Griffith, 32, of Parkersburg, as they exited the bar around 1 a.m. Sunday morning.

Both men were armed with handguns.

Hart fired one round at Griffith. Griffith returned fire and struck the vehicle Hart was getting into. The bullet struck Hart and he began to lose consciousness as he drove out of the parking lot. His vehicle crossed Emerson Avenue and struck a retaining wall. Hart was taken to Camden Clark Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Griffith was questioned and released by police.

Police are not releasing the motive as of yet.

The case will be presented to a grand jury to see if it needs to go to trial.

If you have any information about the case, you are asked to call the Parkersburg Police Detective Bureau at 304-424-8440.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus