Precinct changes in store in Wood County for 2020 May Primary
With nothing on the ballot in November's General Election in Wood County, local officials are focused on getting things ready for the next big election in May.
The changes, outlined Monday morning to the Wood County Commission, mean some residents will have to go to a different polling place to vote in person on May 12.
County Clerk Mark Rhodes said some of the changes are the result of school-consolidation efforts currently underway in Wood County.
The closing of Worthington Elementary and the possible closure of Waverly Elementary made it necessary to find new polling locations, he said.
As a result, Rhodes said those who voted at Precinct 40 in Worthington will now be voting at Emerson Elementary. Waverly voters - those in precincts 54 and 54A - will now cast their ballots at the Waverly fire station.
The changes also include the elimination of precinct 84 at the Pond Creek Volunteer Fire Department.
Rhodes said those voters are being combined into precinct 82 at the Belleville Community Building and precinct 85 at the Rockport Church of Christ. The new precinct line would follow Jerrys Run Road and Pond Creek Road.
"Most of the changes that we're proposing is hopefully a better location for the voters to get in and out of," Rhodes said. "We wanted to make sure that it was done well before the primary elections so that everybody has notice and everybody knows what's going on so that nobody misses their precinct."
He said notices explaining the changes will be sent out in early November.
Below is a list of all the changes:
- Precinct 16, 16th Street fire station - permanently move Precinct 16 to
- Parkersburg High School (multi-precinct location)
- Precinct 40, Worthington Elementary - Move precinct location to - Emerson Elementary School from Worthington Elementary School due to possible unavailability (multi-precinct location)
- Precincts 54 and 54A, Waverly Elementary – Move precinct location to Waverly Volunteer Fire Department form Waverly Elementary School due to possible unavailability (multi-precinct location)
- Precinct 38, Calvary Memorial Church – Move precinct location to Criss Elementary School due to the low number of registered voters (161 total voters). This move will eliminate poll workers at Calvary Memorial Church (multi-precinct location)
- Precincts 69 and 74, Franklin Elementary – Move precinct location to Parkersburg South High School cafeteria from Franklin Elementary School to improve voter access to polling precinct (multi-precinct location)
- Precinct 79, Rodeway Inn – Move precinct to Grace Gospel Church to improve voter access to polling precinct (multi-precinct location)
- Precinct 84, Pond Creek Volunteer Fire Department – Divide Precinct 84 (Pond Creek VFD) into Precinct 82 (Belleville Community Building) and Precinct 85 (Rockport Church of Christ). New precinct line would follow Jerrys Run Road and Pond Creek Road. Total number of registered voters in Precinct 82 would be 787. Total number of registered voters in Precinct 85 would be 696.