MARIETTA, Ohio (WTAP) - There were 12 deaths in crashes leading up to last year's Jan. 1 holiday weekend, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol.
Statistics show that New Year's Eve comes in second place after Fat Tuesday for the holiday with the highest alcohol consumption.
The Washington County Sheriff's Office says there will be a heavier law-enforcement presence out to prevent drunk or impaired driving and that the following tips can help you enjoy a safe holiday.
- Always plan in advance and always plan to have a sober driver pick you up
- If you can't find a sober driver, stay where you are
- Start out the night with a full stomach reason being because alcohol poisoning is typically less likely to occur whenever you've got a full stomach
- Don't drink and drive
- Don't use firearms or fireworks (fireworks are illegal in the state of Ohio)
- Always have a plan with your children and know where they are going to be
- Don't advertise where you are going to be on social media because it can be an invitation for burglars to come to your house