MARIETTA, Ohio (WTAP) - The Washington County Veterans Services hosts its second annual Hall of Fame ceremony, Friday to honor those veterans who stand out in the community.
These are individuals who have gone above and beyond in their service. there were fourteen inductees.
Washington County has more than 5000 veterans.
"A great deal of them are Vietnam veterans and a lot of Vietnam veterans, I should say most Vietnam veterans did not get the welcome home that they deserved. So, this is an opportunity for us as a community to reach out to those veterans and say, thank you for your service," said Fitzgerald, executive director, Washington County Veterans Services.
John Binegar is a Vietnam veteran and an inductee and says, his uniform speaks for him.
"It's a lot of respect and I feel very honored," said Binegar.
Mark Kerenyi served in the United States Marine Corps from 1986-1991.
"It's an incredible honor and more than anything, it's an incredibly humbling experience. I know there are so many veterans here with so many stories of service and sacrifice so for me its just incredibly humbling to be apart of that group," said Kerenyi, inductee.
- Theodore C. Bauer, first lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Corps, 1944-45.
- John T. Binegar, sergeant in the U.S. Army, 1968-69.
- Irene Cain, private first class in the U.S. Marine Corps, 1963-64.
- Gerald M. Dye, sergeant in the U.S. Army Air Corps, 1944-45.
- Louis “Sam” Gwinn, gunner’s mate in the U.S. Navy, 1954-58.
- Larry M. Haynes, staff sergeant in the U.S. Air Force, 1965-69.
- Robert A. Hill, sergeant in the U.S. Army, 1969-70. *posthumous*
- John Hughes, private first class in the U.S. Army, 1966-68.
- Robert Jenkins, staff sergeant in the U.S. Air Force, 1956-76.
- Mark Kerenyi, corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps, 1986-91.
- Greg Mitchell, master sergeant in the U.S. Air Force, 1970-90.
- Gordon F. Pape, private first class in the U.S. Army, 1944-45.
- Donald P. Stewart, staff sergeant in the U.S. Army, 1942-46.
- John Triplett, captain in the U.S. Army, 1985-88.