Wood county brush fire caused by downed electrical wire

By  | 

WOOD COUNTY, W.Va. (WTAP) - Lieutenant Garry Freed with the Washington Bottom volunteer fire department says a large brush fire Thursday night in Wood County was ignited by a downed electrical wire. Crews were dispatched about 10:40 p.m. Thursday to the area of New England Ridge road and Beeman road which is southwest of Lubeck.

Crews tell us the fire was estimated to be 8 to 10 acres wide at the height of the blaze. With a line of strong storms moving into the area, crews were forced to act aggressive and quickly to contain the area. The lieutenant tells us crews on scene used a "surround and drown" technique utilizing five different fire departments to gain control of the fire. Crews were also forced to act quickly because the strong overnight winds were forcing the blaze closer to a residential area nearby.

A supervisor at the Wood county 911 center tells us the fire was contained as of 12:30 a.m. on Friday.

Crews from Washington Bottom, Little Hocking, Lubeck, Blennerhasset and Belpre volunteer fire departments along with the Division of Forestry all responded to the brush fire.