WTAP is looking for a producer for our 90 minute morning newscast.
Wake Up MOV & Daybreak’s format includes up to the minute weather updates/forecasts, local, regional & national news. Daybreak also includes local sports updates.
We are looking for a candidate who innovates new projects and ideas for the newscasts. This position has some on-air opportunities BUT the person taking this job really needs to be focused on producing this newscast. This person will also cover overnight breaking news stories in the Mid-Ohio Valley. The schedule for this position is midnight to 9am - Monday mornings through Friday mornings.
• Produce a creative and informative newscast
• Work under pressure and deadlines
• Adapt to breaking news and developing stories
• Communicate with anchors and control room staff
• Strong initiative and persistent attention to detail is required
• Be able to write clearly and accurately using proper grammar
• Ability to work with limited supervision
• Must be professional and courteous with the public, answer phones and greeting station guests, as needed
• Strong knowledge of current events, including local, regional and national news
• Familiarity with police scanners
• Must work individually as well as part of a team requires work with many personalities
• Must be able to use discretion, best judgment in searching for news stories and have solid journalistic/ethical skills
• Must have a valid driver’s license and pass a motor vehicle background check and drug test
• One (1) year experience in a newsroom preferred, but not required
• BS/BA in journalism or communications preferred
• Ability to shoot, write and edit your own stories as necessary
• Experience with posting stories to social media
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Computer literacy, including newsroom computer systems
• Schedule flexibility (Schedules can shift from time to time to other shifts and/or weekends depending on staffing)
• A valid driver`s license and a good driving record
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings.